Join us LIVE with IRL Streamer and anatomy and physiology, genetics, microbiology, and immunology professor DrWD40, who uses bonding technology to livestream wildlife outdoors!
- This event has passed.
BlackMagic Design: Meet the Leading Innovators of Creative Video Technology | Speedify LIVE
October 4 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EDT
Blackmagic Design Best Practices for Live Streaming
On the 135th episode of Speedify LIVE we are joined by Bob Caniglia, Director of Sales Operations for the Americas at Blackmagic Design!
We talk about Blackmagic’s wide array of hardware and software products, how their products have evolved over the years, dealing with the chip shortage and the pandemic, and what it’s like to have their products be used by big names like Billie Eilish.
Here are our 5 takeaways from our chat with Bob Caniglia:
- When it comes to his setup, Bob uses a Macbook Pro, a Blackmagic Pocket 6K camera, a teleprompter just in case, an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO with 8 inputs, a greenscreen in the background, as well as a StreamDeck, also running the Companion software to help control everything, since he has multiple cameras he can switch to as well.
- Blackmagic Design products have their own Operating System! They use a special OS, that’s present on all products, making their use much easier, but also allowing for easier development of new products, since they all use the same system.
- Comparing DaVinci Resolve’s color correction to Premiere or Final Cut, Bob says that DaVinci Resolve differs in that it has the longest history In terms of software availability, it’s used by movie productions, and on top of it all, it’s also a full app that’s available for free, with lots of tutorials available both in the website and other places, thanks to the community sharing experiences.
- In order to deal with storage issues better and to allow for more collaboration, Blackmagic Design has introduced their own Blackmagic Cloud Service! Available for $5 per month, allowing to store your library of projects, and share it with as many people as you’d like, for free!
- Bob gives some very useful advice to beginner streamers: If your audio is no good, you’re no good, so make sure to get sound deadening equipment like foam or a curtain to cancel out echoes. After that, you can focus on lights and a good camera, but other than that, connectivity is important – if you don’t have good bandwidth, you’re out.
We have SDKs for several of our products with hooks for people to get in. That’s part of the openness, how at Blackmagic we want everybody to be enabled by all the things that we make, and enable people to create cool stuff.