Join us live with on-air talent & producer of The Lipstick League podcast, Natalie Egenolf, the Philadelphia sports broadcasting legend formerly of NBC Sports Philly, 97.5 The Phanatic, and betPARX to talk about behind-the-scenes of live sports broadcasting, plus the latest (BIG) news in Philly sports!
- This event has passed.
How We Set Up a Livestream with Starlink Satellite Internet | Speedify LIVE
December 8, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST
On the 156th episode of Speedify LIVE we hold a very special unplanned stream all about Starlink!
We have been very excited about Starlink and all the potential it has for livestreaming and beyond, so we show you our special setup, talk about what it is, how it works, and how Speedify can help make the most of it!
Here are our 5 takeaways from our special Starlink stream:
- What is Starlink, and why are we so obsessed? Starlink is an internet service provided by satellites in low earth orbit, working through Satellite Dishes that are actually small MIMO antennas. It’s a service with some great potential for coverage in remote places, but it still goes down often due to satellite obstruction. This is where our obsession comes in, as Speedify can help with the downtime with our seamless failover between connections!
- We have set up our own Starlink x Speedify live feed so we could monitor and study the performance! We have a power over ethernet camera on the roof, streaming through OBS on a new Asus ROG Strix G10CE computer, using plugins like Advanced Scene Switcher, and OBS WebSocket 4.x Compat to connect to Streamlabs chatbot, while we also use Streamelements chatbot. All the while we also have a Python script connected to SpeedifyCLI to run OBS Hotkeys.
- Setting up OBS for the Starlink live feed was quite complicated as it does a lot more than it looks to be doing! The biggest challenge was to set up chat to control scenes; but we have also set up a number of new Twitch chat Commands that help zoom in on the dish, add some fun to the stream, etc.
- In regards to where Starlink works best, the most important thing is that it wants a full, clear view of the sky! They operate with high frequencies of 12-40GHz, and are very sensitive to obstruction, so make sure that it’s high up, and there’s no walls or trees in the way to block the signal.
- For our live feed setup we are using two Ethernet connections: one is the Starlink the other is our office Comcast. We’re doing this by using an extra USB to Ethernet adapter, so if you want to use multiple ethernets, this is how you can do it!
Speedify’s smart error correction can fix a lot of glitches, and if you can combine it even with a really slow internet. Use the DSL, even if it’s just one megabit, plus the Starlink in Speedify, and now you’re not going offline even if there’s no satellite overhead.