Join us live with on-air talent & producer of The Lipstick League podcast, Natalie Egenolf, the Philadelphia sports broadcasting legend formerly of NBC Sports Philly, 97.5 The Phanatic, and betPARX to talk about behind-the-scenes of live sports broadcasting, plus the latest (BIG) news in Philly sports!
- This event has passed.
Speedify LIVE Office Hours: Q&A with Our Developers
December 14, 2022 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EST
On the 158th episode of Speedify LIVE we hold our weekly Office Hours with the Speedify developers, to talk about all things Speedify, and our latest obsession: Starlink.
We take viewer questions, take a look at our special Starlink Livestream setup, and discuss all the possibilities that Starlink with Speedify has to offer!
Here are our 5 takeaways from our Office Hours:
- Speedify supports all major platforms anyone would use: Windows, MacOS, Linux, as well as Android and iOS are all covered! We also work on Raspberry Pi and other Linux devices and boards, while Speedify also runs on AndroidTV and the Android-based FireTV systems.
- The Speedify Team has been a little obsessed with Starlink lately, so we’ve set up an around-the-clock Livestream of our Starlink! We’re using Speedify to bond it with other connections and monitor its stats, run tests and learn new things that may help us better optimize Speedify for Starlink, and improve our seamless failovers and more!
- We’ve mentioned IRL Livestreaming Backpacks before, but when it comes to Starlink, we wouldn’t recommend doing a backpack with it! One thing is that it takes a minute to find the best angle to pick up the satellite’s signal, the other is that it emits possibly unhealthy levels of radiation! You could get an RV Starlink setup like UFDTech did for their anual Cannonball for the Cure streams, and move around with that, though!
- When it comes to recommendations for streaming with Speedify, there’s a few options: if you’re streaming off a phone, you can bond its cellular with a Wi-Fi connection; while on a computer you have more options to bond. Our setup in the office is a Mac bonding Comcast via Ethernet, one cellular via USB tethering and one via Wi-Fi Hotspot in Speedify.
- Running a multi-hour livestream for our Starlink feed has come with some challenges: we’ve been knocked offline a couple times because as we were figuring out the stream, we found that Restream Studio needs a browser tab open to it in order to stay live, so now we’re using OBS to Restream Studio. While once we just accidentally shut off the entire PC running the stream - it happens to the best of us.
We’re learning a lot, running lots of different tests. There’s reliability issues with Starlink, at times performance gets bad or it drops out, so Speedify definitely is a lifesaver in that aspect that when Starlink does drop out, it lets you use the other connections and keeps everything seamless.