Live Q&A with the Speedify CEO and CTO
On the 99th episode of Speedify LIVE we hold our weekly Office Hours, this time with Speedify CTO, Brian Prodoehl.
We take viewer questions, and chat about what’s new and what’s coming in Speedify, how we choose our server locations, and whether Speedify works on older devices.
Here are our 5 takeaways from this Office Hours episode:
- Speedify 12.2.2 is out! This time we released a bug fix update that helps even further minimize crashes on both the client and server side. In the meantime, our Server Team is working on improving our servers’ reputation to avoid blocks as much as possible, and our App Team is doing a lot of testing to make sure that people get the best performance through Speedify.
- The speeds you get through Speedify will largely depend on your location and how close the closest server is to you. While our public servers can handle about 100-300 Mbps speeds, if you need more, we offer Monthly and Yearly Dedicated Servers that can handle 1 Gbps, available with our Teams subscriptions.
- Speedify’s server locations are added based on a couple things: customer requests – if there’s enough demand, we do our best to make new locations available; and availability from our hosting partners – if we see that a host has added a new location, we rent it, test it, and if the results are good, we make it available to our users.
- On mobile devices you can combine 2 connections by default: the built-in cellular connection of the phone and a Wi-Fi connection, which can be the locally available Wi-Fi or a shared cellular hotspot from another phone. When we IRL stream, we do that latter and combine two cellular connections in Speedify to get a more stable connection for our streams.
- When it comes to setting connection priorities we recommend the following: if you have a connection that is almost always low latency but high speed, set it as Primary, while if you have one that’s a bit more variable, set that as Secondary so it’s only used when there’s a need for a boost, or the Primary becomes unavailable.