Join us for live Q&A, tech support, and Speedify update news from our developers.
- This event has passed.
Speedify LIVE: How to Enhance Your #VanLife Internet
September 21, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Internet Connectivity - Key Element to a Digital Nomad's Vanlife
A software engineer by training, Geoffrey Huntley lives the van life in Australia. He works remotely on the Internet from wherever he wants to. That's why fast and reliable Internet connectivity is very important for him, as outlined in this article.
Geoffrey shares more about his van life setup, the solutions he tried and what his current Internet setup is. If you are currently one or are thinking in becoming a digital nomad with a van or RV, this is a must watch for you.
Here are out 5 takeaways from our talk with Geoffrey:
- Thanks to platforms like gitpod.io Geoffrey is able to do software development from anywhere, on any device, in the cloud. He says it’s also a great tool for workshops and teaching, because you don’t need to waste time on setting things up on different devices. You just go to the cloud through the browser and start the work.
- Geoffrey has three different LTE modems from three different carriers, as he emphasizes diversity of carriers; as well as a Wi-Fi adapter with external antennas in the back, and a 5G modem in the front of the van, so he’s always covered by an internet connection. He merges all these connections in Speedify to turn all his connections into one stable connection.
- We’re told that having a dedicated space for your work is very important, so you can separate it from your “home space” even when you’re living the van life. Geoffrey usually sets up a tent with a table and chair so he could do his work in a specific environment.
- When it comes to antenna placement on your van, we’re told it’s important to consider whether you get a uni-directional or omni-directional antenna as that can make a huge difference. While omni-directional ones provide more range in all directions, uni-directional ones are limited to the direction they’re pointing at.
- Thankfully, Geoffrey hasn’t had any Streamergencies, which is largely due to combining his connections in Speedify, and his focus on simply getting a good workable Internet access. He even uses Speedify’s channel bonding when he streams on Twitch!
You can do this van life forever, but you need to plan accordingly, you need to think long term. I have a safety net - a parcel of land, where I can build something. And then I can just travel for as long as I like, knowing that I have this safety net.