Join us LIVE for Q&A with Alex and the Speedify Engineers - plus updates about what's new in Speedify, trivia, tips, and tech support!
- This event has passed.
Speedify LIVE Presents: Staying Connected while Chasing Storms featuring Daniel Shaw
January 18, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm EST
Guide on the Technology Involved in Spotting Storms
On the 45th episode of Speedify Live we step into the world of storm chasing, with expert storm chaser and news director, Daniel Shaw who shares his experience in broadcasting in the strangest, and sometimes most dangerous situations throughout his career.
Daniel talks about how he started chasing storms, tells us quite a few fascinating stories from the field, and shares how he found Speedify to be a lifesaver in more than one sense.
Here are our 5 takeaways from our talk with storm spotter Daniel Shaw:
- Daniel uses different setups in the US and Australia, but in both setups he has an extensive collection of cameras. In the US, he uses a PXW-Z90 handheld, a couple Marshall CV605 POV cameras, an Axis Q6115-E PTZ IP-based camera, running over VAPIX commands, automating his process as much as possible to track storms while also handling everything else on his own.
- One of Daniel’s priorities is safety, so he also uses one Streamdeck device in his car to help make things as easy and automated as possible so he can keep his eyes on the road and make sure he gets to his destination safely.
- If you want to become a storm chaser, Daniel says the best thing to do is doing your research and going on storm chasing tours to learn how it works. You will need to be prepared, because sometimes you will need to make quick decisions on the field, and you will need to know what to do.
- Daniel says while storms can be beautiful and amazing, anyone who wants to chase them needs to be prepared to be shocked at what they can really, and be prepared to help. This is why he has been trained to be a first responder, and has received the highest level of training he could.
- When chasing storms across the world, data coverage and outages can be big issue. This is where Speedify has helped Daniel, not just with streaming, but with inbound data, and warning coordination, so he could still stay stable and get the necessary warnings out, which can be a literal lifesaver!
When all hell breaks loose, that first warning to get out, without having to screw around going from connection to connection, that is a lifesaving thing for many people. And Speedify gives me that.