Remote Working in Maine - Logistics
The 2020 pandemic has opened the door for hybrid work models and made remote work popular. Many people headed for the remote countryside, Maine, Bath, Brunswick, etc. These are all growing and growing in population! Just imagine the scenery, right outside your windows and 4 wonderful seasons to enjoy.
Maine gives its residents beautiful lakes, rivers, beaches and mountains and 4 amazing seasons to enjoy many outdoor activities. The New York Times even has listed Maine amongst the top places to work remote. Don’t forget - Maine isn’t too far from Boston or even NYC when you want to get into the big city to catch a game or a Broadway Play.
You'll need a place to stay. Not necessarily a house or an apartment - you can also work from an RV. However, during the winter, maybe that's not such a good idea.
When you work remotely from Maine, the Internet is what makes or breaks your productivity. This article will share how you can avoid any kind of Internet issues as a remote worker in Maine.
Why You Can Get Slow and Unreliable Internet Connectivity in Maine
As with any other situation, if you're experiencing a slow and unreliable Internet, it's either your ISP or you. To rule out the ISP causes, check out the service status page for scheduled maintenance work or reported outages. These include Pioneer, RedZone, Xfinity, AT&T and others.
If you didn't find any reported outages for your ISP in Maine but your Internet is slow and unreliable (make sure to test the speed, to see exactly how slow it is!), here are some other causes:
- your Internet plan delivers according to the contract. It may be time to upgrade it to higher speeds.
- your ISP is throttling your connection or you have consumed the high speed traffic included in your plan.
- there's a problem on your side, with the modem / router / other networking equipment. Or you're in a poor signal area.
Remote Work Maine - Troubleshooting Slow and Unstable Internet Connections
First - follow your ISP's recommended steps in troubleshooting your Internet issues. You may need to contact them as well. Also feel free to check out this extensive troubleshooting guide for slow and unreliable connectivity.
The main things you should try are:
- restart the modem / router you're connecting to, as well as the device itself - laptop, computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.
- get closer to the Wi-Fi router or move it to a central location in your home.
- use a wired Ethernet connection where possible.
- use a Wi-Fi repeater to get coverage all around your home.
- use all available Internet connections at the same time by creating a "super-pipe". Combine Wi-Fi, tethered smartphone (cellular) and wired Ethernet - you'll need a channel bonding solution like Speedify for that.
Speedify - Essential Connectivity for Remote Work in Maine
Maine has become very friendly to remote workers; according to this article those working remote in Maine plan to stay a while there.
But, as the same article notes, reliable Wi-Fi is something of a rare find around Maine, especially rural regions, lack robust broadband or cellular infrastructure. That's why remote workers in Maine need a solution for fast and reliable connectivity.
Speedify is the only app that can combine multiple internet sources into one bonded super-connection for more stable and secure live streaming, video calling, and web browsing. As long as you're connected to more than one ISP, chances are you will not get disconnected completely from the Internet, thanks to Speedify's automatic failover protection.
Creating an Internet "super-pipe" that provides increased speed and reliability in Maine is especially important when:
- working remotely - you will stop getting pixelated video or buffering in video conferences, as well as being in touch with your colleagues in real time, not waiting for messages or attachments to go through.
- live streaming - Speedify actually prioritizes live streams over other types of Internet traffic. So your Twitch, YouTube or other streams should be protected.
- online gaming - you will not lose the game because of an Internet glitch or be thrown out of the game because of laggy Internet.
More is better than one - that's why Speedify is the best solution for remote work in Maine.