Dropped Frames – How to Stop Them When Broadcasting
One of the issues live streamers are having when broadcasting online is dropped frames. This is usually generated by network congestion. When you’re dropping frames, your video becomes blocky due to bitrate fluctuations.
When the connection to the server is not stable or your Internet connection can’t keep up with your set bitrate, you will get dropped frames. But if you drop too many frames, you may be disconnected from the streaming server. You need a solution to fix the root cause – your Internet connection issues.
Keep reading to see how easy it is to fix dropped frames. Enjoy stable Internet with plenty of bandwidth, low latency and low packet loss.
Why Do You Get Dropped Frames?
The main reason you’re seeing dropped frames is the connectivity to the Twitch, YouTube, etc. ingest server. Streaming platforms do not drop frames for any other reason than network congestion. Read more technical details of what frame drops are on Github.
You have to find a solution to network congestion to solve the dropped frames issues. There are 2 ways you can go at it: on the server side and on your side.
How to Fix Dropped Frames on the Server Side
Diagnose and fix the server side network congestion when you’re seeing dropped frames:
- Change the ingest server you’re streaming to. Switching to another server sometimes solves dropped frames. Remember: the “closest” or “lowest ping” server isn’t always the most reliable. If you’re live streaming on Twitch, use TwitchTest. Find the server you have the best bandwidth to and the maximum bit rate you can stream. It’s recommended to choose a server with a quality score of at least 80 for a stable live streaming experience.
- Try another streaming service and see if you get the same “dropped frames” issues. If it’s Twitch that gives headaches, try streaming on YouTube. If you’re still dropping frames, then the culprit is most probably your Internet connection.
You might also be interested in...
How to Fix Dropped Frames on Your Side
Already tried solution for server side dropped frames and still seeing dropped frames?
- You can go through this extensive checklist on dropped frames and connection issues and try everything, or…
- You can fix dropped frames easily in a matter of minutes with Speedify. This fast and secure channel bonding service fixes network congestion and allows you to live stream online with no hassles.
Speedify Minimizes Dropped Frames, Even If You Have a Good Upload Speed
Speedify is a fast bonding VPN service that uses channel bonding technology. You are able to combine multiple Internet connections at the same time into one super pipe for increased bandwidth and reliability.
How does this help you?
- Having bandwidth issues with your Internet connection? Put other connections in the mix (public WiFi nearby, cellular, tethered phone, etc.) and combine them with Speedify.
- Getting high latency to Twitch, YouTube or Mixer servers? Select a Speedify server that’s fastest and improve that lag.
- If you get high packet loss or jitter, Speedify’s fast error correction features works even with just one Internet connection! It instantly detects when a network packet has been lost. Then, it resends it before the Internet protocol realizes that, preventing network congestion before it occurs.
You will enjoy the combined speed and stability of all your connections. Also, if one of them disappears or disconnects, Speedify will instantly and seamlessly shift your streaming to the other working connection(s) without skipping a beat.
How Does Speedify Work?
Speedify makes your internet secure, stable, and fast with the magic of Channel Bonding--but how?
- First, Speedify establishes a connection to one of our Speed Servers in the Cloud. This acts as a middleman between you and the rest of the internet, keeping your web activity private and secure.
- Next, the app works with the Speed Server to intelligently spread network packets among all your available internet connections.
- And presto! Speedify is able to provide the combined speed and stability of all your internet connections—unlike any other VPN on the market.
Fix Dropped Frames and Complete Your Live Streaming Setup with Speedify
Speedify is perfect when you’ve got access to 2 or more Internet connections. These include WiFi & Cellular on your smartphone, WiFi & wired Ethernet on your computer. With its bonding VPN core making the difference, it’s only $50 per year for a subscription. How much would you spend on dedicated bonding hardware? We believe it’s time to upgrade your live streaming setup with a future-proof tool for fast and reliable Internet!