Join us LIVE for Q&A with Alex and the Speedify Engineers - plus updates about what's new in Speedify, trivia, tips, and tech support!
- This event has passed.
Speedify LIVE: How a Therapist Treats Patients Virtually
November 30, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm EST
How to Reduce Stress During the Holidays
During the pandemic many of us have faced a lot of stress, fear, anxieties and even depression due to a variety of reasons. As a result of the ongoing situation and the growing need for help, mental health counseling has mostly moved online.
The guest of the 33rd episode of Speedify Live is Michael Reeder, a licensed clinical professional counselor and psychotherapist. He treats various mental health issues ranging from depression and anxiety, to trauma and ADHD, among others. He shares his experiences with online therapy, technology, and what he’s learned over the course of this strange period.
Here’s out 5 takeaways from our conversation with Michael Reeder:
- Online therapy is a lot less different than one would initially think. The pros include not needing to commute, its convenience and comfort, and a huge one, no virus exposure. It’s a great alternative, especially in these trying times.
- You can keep your mental health in check with even the smallest things. A good sleep schedule, proper nutrition and exercise are the basics to start with. But what’s more important, don’t be afraid to talk to someone: trusted friends, family or a therapist. The start can be difficult, but it’s rewarding in the long run!
- Having to comply with medical privacy regulations, Michael Reeder uses tools such as Psychology Today Sessions, and RingCentral. He also uses multiple ISPs combined with Speedify, running on a Raspberry Pi. The therapy itself takes place on a Windows 10 laptop, using a Logitech C920X webcam and a Jabra Speakerphone, with notes being taken on a Microsoft Surface.
- Over the course of the Pandemic, he has acquired many new skills when it comes to technology, streaming, and online privacy. For example, he has learned to build a Raspberry Pi from scratch, for instance, which has come in handy for using Speedify!
- Due to therapy platforms becoming overwhelmed with unforeseen traffic, and the less-than-great ISP providers in his area, Michael Reeder has faced many Streamergencies. But thanks to Speedify’s ability to combine connections, he’s managed to find a good way to get a better, more stable connection for his sessions.
I have clients with emotional support animals. Especially if someone's lonely, having a pet during the holidays helps with the loneliness. The pet is company, it has a personality. They really do help with depression.