Join us for live Q&A, tech support, and Speedify update news from our developers.
- This event has passed.
Speedify LIVE: Zion Olojede
August 26, 2021 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
What Twitter, Basketball and Sports Have in Common
Zion Olojede wears multiple hats - he is one of the hosts of the Complex Sports Podcast, as well as the person behind the Nigerian Men's Basketball Team's Twitter account.
Find out more about Zion himself, some memorable basketball moments and about being successful on Twitter by watching this episode of Speedify Live.
Here are our 5 takeaways from our chat with Zion Olojede:
- Zion started his Twitter for Nigerian Men’s Basketball all the way back in 2012 when he saw the Nigerian team qualify for the Olympics. He researched whether anyone was covering the team, but after finding no coverage, he decided to do it himself. After a few years, it paid off, as it eventually became the official Twitter account for the team, now with over 100 thousand followers.
- His Twitter account even helped Zion land an internship with Complex Sports during his junior year of Journalism studies at college! Thanks to one of his contacts through the account, he was hired for an internship right away, and later on, he joined the Complex team as an official employee, now managing their social media as well.
- Zion says that the pandemic has been a blessing in disguise for him personally, both work-wise and creative-wise, as it allowed him to better focus on the different Twitter accounts he manages, and start a livestream for one of them as well.
- For his commentary livestreams, where he also talks to guests every now and then, Zion’s been using Streamyard to stream to Twitter and YouTube, as he’s found the tool easy to use and a good way to start.
- Running multiple official Twitter accounts can be a challenge, but Zion manages to keep them separate, and different! He says since the accounts have different goals, his posts are different on each: on the official Complex Sports account he mostly posts articles and posts, while on the Nigerian Basketball account he mainly promotes the team itself.
Ben Affleck just continuously retweeted and liked our stuff, he followed us... I was just like "oh, wow, that's random, but I definitely appreciate all follows".