Why does Spotify keep getting blocked?
There are plenty of music streaming services out there, but by far the most popular one is Spotify. According to the Verge, in Q4 of 2018, Spotify had 170 million monthly active users and 75 million paid subscribers. With Spotify you can listen to music on demand wherever you are and if you are a premium user you can even listen offline. With over 50 million songs in it’s library Spotify is a great platform to expand your musical taste and discover new music.
Spotify is available in many countries, you can see the full list here. However, if you don’t live in one of the listed countries, you won’t be able to enjoy music on demand through Spotify. If you visit their website, you will be greeted by “Spotify is currently not available in your country.”
Don’t worry, below you’ll see how to get Spotify unblocked easily. And also make sure Spotify won’t have buffering or loading issues.
Why Is Spotify Blocked in My Country?
Sadly there seems to be no definitive answers. Most likely there are legal issues and licensing laws to work through before Spotify can launch their service in a specific country. Feel free to ask the Spotify Community here about the availability of the service in your country.
What Can I Do to Get Spotify Unblocked?
There are a couple of different ways to get Spotify unblocked:
- Travel to a country where Spotify is available and install the app as well as create your account there. However, you will only be able to use it for 14 days after leaving the country and returning home.
- [Android only] You can download a modified .apk file on your Android device. Be careful and do your research before installing an unknown app from an unknown source. We certainly don’t recommend it.
When you’re in a country where Spotify is not available, downloading the app is difficult. It is not listed in the Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store due to geo-restrictions. Thankfully, the app is easier to download on Windows and macOS.
5 Steps to Get Spotify Unblocked on Your Computer
Here is what you have to do:
- Download Spotify. Get it here, but you still won’t be able to create an account and listen to music. That is unless you use a bonding VPN like Speedify to get Spotify unblocked.
- If you don’t already use a VPN on your computer, download Speedify for free here and install it. Speedify will allow you to connect to a VPN server in a different country. This will grant you access to Spotify, allowing you to register and create an account.
- Run Speedify VPN and select a server in a country where Spotify is available. We used Singapore, but you can choose whichever you want.
- While connected to the Speedify VPN server, run Spotify and create your account. Once you’ve created an account and logged in, close the Spotify app and connect to whatever server you usually use with Speedify VPN.
- Now, when you open Spotify it will be unblocked and you can listen to music for 14 days. Then, you’ll need to reconnect the VPN to the country you used register.
The best thing about using Speedify to get Spotify unblocked on your computer is you are getting nearly all premium features for free.
- Once every 14 days you will need to connect Speedify VPN to the servers in the unblocked Spotify country. You’ll have to log out and back in.
- In the meantime, if you restart the Spotify app, you will get unlimited skips and no ads.
- The only feature not available is offline listening.
- Sadly you will still get ads on mobile and only 6 skips per hour, but you will at least be able to enjoy Spotify.
How Does Speedify Unblock Spotify?
As a VPN, Speedify directs all your traffic to a VPN server in another country and your IP becomes the IP of the server you connect to. This allows you to bypass geo-restrictions which means you can access any website you want, even if it is blocked in your region. All you have to do is simply connect to a server in a country where Spotify isn’t blocked and enjoy all of the music it Spotify has to offer.
And that’s how Speedify gets Spotify unblocked! But wait, there’s more!
By using channel bonding technology, Speedify allows you to combine multiple different internet connections at once. This will get you a “super” connection, increasing the speed and reliability. This means no buffering and no loading errors for Spotify, when these are caused by your bad Internet connection. And this opens whole new possibilities for all your apps, whether on your computer or mobile device!
When you want to get Spotify unblocked, use a bonding VPN like Speedify – see steps above.