Join us for live Q&A, tech support, and Speedify update news from our developers.
- This event has passed.
Speedify LIVE: Proving How Speedify Fixes IRL Streaming
March 8 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Does Speedify Really Improve Live Streaming?
On the 58th episode of Speedify Live we take yet another look at our IRL streaming setup, this time focusing on how we actually test it all to make sure it works.
We show off the different test setups we have used, and demonstrate what we’re testing with currently and how stream quality compares between livestreaming with and without Speedify – spoiler: the difference is huge!
Here are our 5 takeaways from our IRL setup demo stream:
- For testing streams side by side on two phones we use an Ulanzi Power Stick that serves both as a phone stand and a 10000 mAh battery, while remaining lightweight and compact, counterbalancing the phones’ weights and keeping our video steady while we walk around testing.
- Our software setup is a bit different for IRL testing: each iPhone runs Larix Broadcaster, one phone is running a single connection while the other combines 2 connections in Speedify; both phones are uploading the Larix stream via RTMP to a livestream hosted on Dacast, and we’re embedding two Dacast livestreams, side by side to OBS Studio and uploading the OBS stream to Restream.
- We added Dacast to our IRL testing setup because Restream doesn’t allow us to have more than one RTMP stream in the studio. However, with Dacast added to the mix, we’re able to host two RTMP streams on two different servers and then embed them in OBS side by side.
- A little advice if you’re streaming from a phone: put your phone on Do Not Disturb! This applies especially if you’re on an iPhone, because when a call comes in, the iPhone’s video stops, so it’s best to avoid incoming calls while you’re live.
- In our test demo we show the real difference between IRL streaming with and without Speedify: the phone streaming with just one connection, without Speedify, disconnects on both attempts, both on WebRTC and RTMP; while the Speedify phone manages to keep the stream going on both test attempts.
One of the things that we’ve done with Speedify recently is that it detects what looks like a livestream. And it immediately prioritizes the packets that are part of the livestream.