Quora users ask how fast Speedify really is
96% Bonding Efficiency for Speedify
At the highest level, Speedify does two big things to help speed up your Internet:
- It lets you combine the bandwidth of multiple Internet connections
- It detects and re-sends lost packets
- It does all this with a VPN twist, encrypting your online traffic to protect your privacy and sensitive data
So, I set up two identical 3 Mbps Internet links, with 50 ms round trip time as latency, and then slowly dialed up the loss.
I tested with 3 software setups:
- 1 Connection, No Speedify – Just TCP on the Internet.
- 1 Connection with Speedify – Speedify running on a single Internet link
- 2 Connections with Speedify – Speedify running, allowed to use both Internet links.
The results were as follows:
A couple observations:
- Speedify added about 3% overhead to the single link, making it .1Mbps slower when there was no loss.
- But as the loss increases, the “No Speedify” throughput collapses. At 5% loss the throughput is down to about 25% of full speed. (And this can be a real scenario with WiFi, by the way)
- Speedify offers great protection from this loss. At 5% loss, it’s 234% the speed of TCP without Speedify
- Bonding Works! Even with no loss, the Speedify 2 Connection speed is 193% the speed of just TCP on one link (96%) bonding efficiency. This is especially critical in bandwidth intensive applications like Twitch gaming, video streaming, etc.
Your mileage may vary, in particular:
- Speedify does adjust to non-identical Internet links to allow them to be bonded. But as the latencies and speeds get further apart, the bonding efficiency does come down.
- How badly TCP is affected by loss is affected by latency. At higher latencies, Speedify can end out doubling your performance at just 1% loss.
- We were then focused on combined speeds of up to 50 Mbps, this was not (yet) a service for Google Fiber users.
- I didn’t talk about Redundant Mode at all… usually lower throughput but delivers very consistent, non-jittery performance (lower average ping times).