How to Build Mission-Driven Organizations and Really Make the Difference
As a community leader and entrepreneur, Morgan is currently involved in several projects, including MilkCrate and Life Science Cares. Entrepreneurship actually runs in her family, which was inspiring and influential to developing the skills.
In this episode of Speedify Live, Morgan shares how to use business as a force of good, having a purpose beyond profit, building mission-driven organizations and real life lessons for entrepreneurs.
Here are our 5 takeaways from our talk with Morgan Berman:
- Morgan’s inspiration to do good in the world has been her parents. From a young age she’s seen her parents build their own businesses, and work on both helping others and fulfilling their own interest, which inspired her to go after the same.
- Glitter is another project of Morgan’s, which is a subscription model that starts with street sweeping and keeping Philadelphia blocks clean. People can not only sign up to have their blocks cleaned, but it provides job opportunities for those that are in need of extra income or are struggling to find work otherwise.
- Milk Crate builds apps that help non-profits provide a digital place to the people who signed up for their programs, where they can receive updates, reminders, but also share information, chat with mentors and peers, take part in polls, etc. This greatly improves the traditional survey methods many non-profits use, and helps track both program-wide and individual progress, and success.
- Morgan’s advice for budding entrepreneurs is to not go it alone. Get into an incubator or accelerator, learn from people who have been there before, get out there, pitch your ideas, meet people, and learn from them.
- Now working completely remotely, Morgan has experienced one of her worst Streamergencies the other day. When she had to do a meeting with the Glitter team, the new CEO was about to show the new system they’ve just created, but then Morgan’s computer went blank and she couldn’t see anything. This is exactly where Speedify could have helped, as it’s a fantastic solution for helping online meetings actually stay online!