Do I Really Need a VPN If I am Using a Mac?
Spoiler alert: YES!
I know, I know… When we talk about Mac, security is always in-lined with it. It was a perception that Macs are safer and more secure than Windows computers. However, that’s not always the case.
In 2018, from July to September, 5.3 million Mac computers were sold worldwide. We can’t blame people choosing a Mac due to its sleek feel and software. Macbook is one of the top selling products of Apple. It’s portable, easy to use, and sturdy. It’s one of those devices that’s focused on people on-the-go!
Do you travel? Do you use a public internet? If you’re away, sometimes there’s no other option but to connect to an open or public Wi-Fi. It’s important you never let your guard down! A free wifi is a hacker’s dream! This is the time where you need a VPN, because prevention is always better than cure.
What VPN Should I Use on My Mac in 2019?
There are thousands of VPN services available online that you can use. Some are paid and some are free. Not every VPN provider is safe to go with so be vigilant. Not all VPNs are created equally! Not even guard dogs aren’t created equally! Some dogs are cute and some are cuter!
The question of “how to choose a VPN for Mac” is harder than it looks! Some VPNs can only work on specific devices. Each VPN service are unique to each other. Here are some of the things you want to look at when choosing the best VPN for Mac for you.
- Do they offer a FREE TRIAL? It’s very important you test the service first before paying!
- Do they work on Mac? Because we love our Macs!
- Are they a reputable VPN service provider? Check online reviews and App Store / Play Store ones.
- Can the VPN provide the right service for your needs? Some users wants to access specific contents or stream movies online. Are you aiming for a secured internet experience? Are you into speed than security? Are you going to use it for gaming? etc.
- What specific features can this VPN service offer me that other VPN providers doesn’t offer? Do they only offer privacy or can they also combine multiple Internet connections at once?
- How do they provide customer support? Is it 24/7? Is it by email, phone or live chat?
- How many devices can be used with this VPN? You may want to protect your smartphone as well.
- What’s the price? How is it compared to others?
How to Make Sure Your Mac Is Secure from Snoops and Hackers
Macs come in with good security measures by default. Apple got all the bells and whistles that you can use to improve your security over the internet:
- Set up FileVault: Want to start fresh or give your Mac to someone else? FileVault 2 makes it easy to clean data off your Mac.
- Secure your iCloud: macOS and iCloud can help keep your Mac safe even when you misplace it. Sign in to iCloud.com from another computer or use the Find My iPhone app on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to locate your missing Mac on a map.
- Tired of forgetting long passwords? Set up iCloud Keychain! When you visit a website, iCloud Keychain will fill in your login information to give you access to your online accounts. It can also auto-fill your credit card information when you’re checking out online.
- Always use a secured connection. If public internet is the only option, never connect to it unless your connection is encrypted with a VPN!
You shouldn’t use just any kind of VPN! Check out the encryption method and level. Here’s CloudFlare’s ChaCha performance testing. For the truly technically minded, here are the standards: RFC 7539 for ChaCha and RFC 7905 for ChaCha over DTLS. And, yes, Speedify bonding VPN uses it along with AES.
Speedify – Less Worries, More Security from a VPN for Your Mac
Speedify is different among VPNs. It’s a bonding VPN that solves both security and speed concerns. By using channel bonding technology, Speedify can combine all available Internet connections simultaneously.
You will be protected from compromised WiFi networks. Speedify also keeps your data safe from prying eyes of hackers, ISPs, and even the hosts of the network. No more ISP throttling for certain platforms!
Speedify offers a free trial so you can test drive the service before paying for it. You get 2 GB of data each month. Speedify also supports Mac and an individual subscription works on up to 5 devices.
Get Speedify on all major platforms: Windows, macOS, iOS and Android. Time to put internet threats to rest by using Speedify as your VPN for Mac.