How Slow Download Speeds Affect You
Slow download speeds may be the first sign there is an issue with the hardware or software you are using. Whether it’s an older modem or router, a weak WiFi adapter or perhaps you have a virus on your device, you need to fix it.
Slow download speeds can be very inconvenient, especially if you’re on the go or need to get something done in due time.
Are sure both your hardware and software are performing as they should, but download speed still isn’t where you would like it to be? See below how to speed up downloads.
Step 1: Test Your Download Speed
You want to learn how to speed up downloads, right? First you need to determine if the download speed you are getting from your ISP is fast enough and if it aligns with the contract. To test your speed you can go to speedtest.netor use any other speed testing tool.
If the download speeds are not what your ISP promised, you may want to clarify with them why that is.
If you are getting the speeds in the contract, but the downloads still seem slower there could be another thing causing the issue:
- Your ISP may be throttling your data.
- Do you have many devices connected to your Internet source? This can lead to slow download speeds.
- Make sure you are close to your router/modem to ensure you have the optimal download environment. Especially if you’re connecting via Wi-Fi.
5 Tips on How to Speed Up Downloads
Here are some general steps you can take to optimize your download speed:
- Cancel any running downloads in the background. Operating system, video game and software updates can contribute to slow download speeds. Check for ongoing app updates, back-ups or background streaming apps.
- Download only one file at a time. Cancel simultaneous downloads to provide a higher total speed to the most important file.
- Disable your firewall protection. Firewalls are good safety mechanics, but they can impair the speed of downloads. Be sure to re-enable it when the download is complete (use this step with caution).
- Use a wired connection instead of a wireless connection. Hooking directly into your router or modem will limit signal interference and maximize your download speed.
- Restart your device, and then start the download with only your browser running. Fewer running applications can create a faster download environment.
If you are using a mobile device, you can take a look at this article by Cnet. They go over steps specifically tailored for slow downloads on mobile devices.
However, the tips above are not proven to work anytime. If you need faster download speeds, you need more bandwidth. You can get more bandwidth by using 2 or more Internet connections at the same time.
Why Speedify Is the Best Solution to Speed Up Downloads
Speedify bonding VPN allows you to combine multiple internet sources into one faster and more reliable connection, increasing your bandwidth and download speed. Using channel bonding technology, Speedify allows you to take advantage of all internet connections available.
For example, you can combine WiFi and cellular data on your mobile device. You can also bond Ethernet and WiFi on your Mac and PC. But why stop there? Check out our video where we combine 15 connections on an iPad!
The combined speeds will allow you to download files faster. The failover protection Speedify offers will prevent your downloads from being interrupted.
Use Speedify to download files faster and more reliably at home or on the go. That’s how to speed up downloads – with Speedify!