How to Fix a Mac Mini when It Disconnects from WiFi
Mac Mini loses WiFi connectivity? Unfortunately this is an issue that is more popular than we'd like. And it's because of this dropped connection issues why you can't join any type of video calls for work or for school - you'd just get fragments of the conversation.
But how to fix a Mac Mini with WiFi problems and dropping connection? In this article we unveil some of the causes and troubleshooting steps to fix this. But most importantly, we will share a proven way on how you can stop your Mac Mini from disconnecting from WiFi in order to be able to enjoy any type of online activities (including streaming and online gaming) with no issues.
Mac Mini Disconnects from WiFi - What Are the Causes?
If your Mac Mini frequently loses the WiFi connection, there isn't a single cause for this. Whether it's an older Mac Mini or the latest one, here are the main causes why this would happen:
- a software-related issue within macOS - settings, connectivity glitches, etc.
- a problem with the router / Wi-Fi hotspot
- network infrastructure issues with the ISP
Regardless of the cause, below are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot this disconnect problem.
Step-by-Step Guide to Avoid Mac Mini Disconnecting from WiFi
Here is what you can try to solve your Mac Mini Wi-Fi connectivity issues:
- Use a wired Ethernet connection instead. Boom - problem solved! That is, of course, if this is possible.
- Use the Mac Mini within range of the Wi-Fi network you're connecting to. If the wireless router is at the other end of the house, get closer to it. Of get some Wi-Fi repeaters or use your PC as a repeater.
- Diagnose Wi-Fi connection problems. Open wireless diagnostics from the Wi-Fi status menu and run them. Check out the recommendations at the end.
- Try using Apple's recommended settings for configuring your router. Also, make sure your router runs the latest available firmware - check the manufacturer's website.
- Restart your Mac Mini and the Wi-Fi router. This will refresh the connection, etc.
- Reduce wireless interference. Avoid having sources of interference near your wireless devices - power cables, microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.
Stepping back, continuous connectivity is the goal you're trying to achieve when your Mac Mini is disconnecting from Wi-Fi. You need a solution that can use all your available connections on your Mac Mini at the same time - a channel bonding service like Speedify.
Get More Reliable Internet on Your Mac Mini with Speedify
Speedify is a fast bonding VPN that gets you a fast, stable and secure Internet connection on your Mac Mini. It achieves this with channel bonding technology that uses your Mac’s Wi-Fi, wired Ethernet and any USB cellular dongles you have connected at the same time instead of switching between them.
What you get is increased bandwidth, which allows all of your apps to run faster. Speedify runs in the background of your Mac Mini, proactively monitoring the quality of your connections. It is equipped with auto failover so when your Mac keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi, it routes all the data through the wired Ethernet and the cellular connection (if available) until the Wi-Fi connection is restored. All of this activity is automated. You don’t have to do anything, and you most likely won’t even notice anything different is happening.
As a VPN, Speedify provides advanced encryption, without forcing you to sacrifice speed or reliability. Speedify works on all macOS devices starting with macOS 10.12 and later. This includes all Intel and ARM based Mac computers (such as those with the new M1 processor) including Macbook, Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro, iMac and iMac Pro, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro.
Please check the updated system requirements on the download page.
Speedify is also available in the App Store. It only takes a few minutes to setup and requires no advanced technical skills or knowledge to use.
Give Speedify a try when your Mac Mini disconnects from WiFi! Get it from the Apple Store or from our website.
Speedify is the only app that combines your wifi, cellular, wired, and even your friend’s phone signals – into one ultra-fast and super secure link that keeps you all connected for the best possible live streaming, video calling, or just posting to your favorite app.
Subscribe to Speedify on YouTube
Get news, success stories, and our weekly livestreaming show Speedify LIVE! Tune in to chat and ask questions or to yell at us if that makes you happy. We're from Philly, we can take it.