How to Fix Connectivity Problems when Playing on PokerStars
Whether it's Texas Hold'em, Omaha, Draw or any other variant, poker is certainly the most popular online casino game. In fact, given the pandemic context, when many real-world casinos shut their doors, online poker and casino games have tripled their revenue in 2020 vs. 2019. A lot of money is being played out in the online world - hundreds of million of dollars worth per quarter, according to the same source above. PokerStars is one of the most popular online poker platforms, serving the community since 2001.
Given those high stakes, it's most inconvenient when you, as an online poker player, start getting issues with your Internet connection. You can lose opportunities in raising the stakes or folding and, eventually, lose the stakes with a royal flush in your hands, when the Internet disconnects. This article will share how you can avoid PokerStars connection issues and focus on playing poker rather than worrying and troubleshooting your internet connectivity
Causes for PokerStars Connection Issues
We all know the Internet has its way of disconnecting right when you need it the most. This can be OK with other activities. But with critical ones like being part of a PokerStars tournament, your money is at stake. It's a priority for you to solve your potential connection issues before logging in to PokerStars.
The causes for PokerStars connection issues may be split into 3 main categories:
- platform server problems (when it's not you, it's them)
- Device issues - software conflicts (with security / firewall software), out-of-date PokerStars app
- Internet connectivity problems on your part: slow or laggy connection.
Troubleshooting any of these during an ongoing game is not recommended. You can do this while in the app lobby or when you're not using PokerStars. Keep reading to see a list of potential fixes.
7 Steps (and a Simple Alternative) to Fix PokerStars Connection Problems
Given the above, let's see how you can troubleshoot your PokerStars issues:
- Check the PokerStars Support Twitter account for any news on outages and planned server restarts. The good news is that according to their policy, all amounts from an unfinished hand will be rolled back to each player.
- Restart all your network equipment - router / modem, repeater, etc.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the PokerStars app installed and restart it.
- If you have a firewall or security software, make sure it allows the PokerStars app to access the Internet.
- Restart your PC / smartphone.
- Reinstall the PokerStars app
- Contact PokerStars directly from the app or website.
The alternative to all the above: using 2 or more connections available to you at once, to keep you connected when one of them disconnects. You can easily do that by using the Speedify app while you play poker.
Use all of your connections at the same time
Multiple connections, maximum performance
Speedify can bond any combination of 2 or more Internet connections and will intelligently distribute your online traffic between them for optimal performance.
In the majority of cases, Speedify will automatically detect and start using any Internet connections available to your device - but if you need help we have quick start guides available for most common set ups.
I want to combine...
Speedify Eliminates PokerStars Connection Issues - Poker Mode ON!
Speedify is a bonding VPN service that employs channel bonding technology to allow you to use all of your Internet connections at once. You will benefit from extra speed, the best latency available and also protection against DDoS attacks that target poker players. If you have been targeted before, you might also think about getting your own dedicated server for online games.
If you think you don't have any other connections available, here are a few ideas:
- on your smartphone you can combine Wi-Fi and cellular together.
- on your computer you can use the Ethernet or Wi-Fi from the home network with a USB cellular dongle and/or your tethered smartphone.
Speedify automatically recognizes all active connections on your device and intelligently combines them to keep you online while maintaining the session. Even if one of your connections drops, Speedify will seamlessly transition the traffic to the other(s) before that happens, so you won't even know it happened.
Last but not least: remember that even if you use Speedify while playing poker, we recommend having your PokerStars app updated at all times. And make sure you check the PokerStars VPN usage recommendations.
To wrap this up - Speedify provides an easy way to solve and avoid PokerStars conection issues by using all of your available Internet connections at once.