What to Do When Internet Disconnects Frequently While Mining
Are you mining for cryptocurrency by yourself or are you part of a mining pool? Then you should definitely make sure your computer or mining rig uses a stable Internet connection. After all, your purpose is to get the rewards, don't you?
This article explains what happens if you lose Internet connectivity while mining and how you can avoid that to maximize your earnings.
Causes for Mining Pool Internet Disconnecting
When you're mining for crypto on your computer or are using a mining rig, you might have stumbled upon some issues related to the power going to your GPU (low quality cables, inadequate power source), the insufficient RAM, etc. But one pretty common issue that of Internet disconnecting while mining / using the mining pool.
So why does your Internet connection randomly disconnect? When it comes to connecting to the Internet via Wi-Fi, here are some common causes:
- WiFi hotspot strength is insufficient – you may be near the edge of the WiFi network.
- WiFi network is overloaded due to streaming, gaming or other bandwidth intensive applications
- You have to sign in again to the network using a captive portal / login page.
- Wireless interference (channel overlap) with other WiFi hotspots or devices nearby.
- WiFi adapter outdated drivers or wireless router outdated firmware.
- ISP issues
You may also encounter random Internet disconnects while connected via wired Ethernet to your crypto mining pool. In this case, this usually happens due to connectivity issues with the ISP.
What Happens When Internet Gets Disconnected While Mining
As you know, mining for cryptocurrency works by constantly communicating with the network or mining pool. The miner has to submit the proof of work it did for a particular block. If your device or rig cannot access the Internet:
- you may lose your hashrate;
- you may keep your resources occupied, consuming power, etc. for nothing. Some of the miner programs will stop the mining process automatically once the Internet connection is lost;
- all the work will have been done in vain and you don't earn any rewards.
That's why you should make sure your Internet connection is reliable whenever you're mining for Bitcoin, Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies.
How to Avoid and Fix Mining Pool Internet Disconnects
First of all - you should troubleshoot your Internet connectivity. Find out what is causing this - is it your ISP? Or is it you - starting from the modem / router?
Here are some solutions to avoid crypto miners disconnecting:
- Reset your modem / router and restart your mining device or rig.
- Use wired Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, if possible. If not, at least move the rig physically closer to the Wi-Fi hotspot, to avoid signal loss.
- Update your Wi-Fi adapter drivers and Wi-Fi router firmware by checking the manufacturers’ websites.
- Remove any static bag(s) you may have placed your mining rig on top of. That causes wireless shielding and can affect the Wi-Fi signal.
- If you're using a Wi-Fi dongle on your rig, make sure the power supply has enough available power for that as well.
Assuming the issue was on your part and you fixed it - you're still not off the hook. What happens if there's an ISP issue and your Internet still disconnects randomly? They do happen more often than you want...
The solution is simple: use a channel bonding service like Speedify. That allows you to use all your available connections at once, so if one of them disconnects, the other will seamlessly pick up the communication between your mining device or rig and the mining pool.
How Speedify Helps Crypto Miners Avoid Internet Disconnects and Further Secures Your Rewards
Along with the fact that it makes your Internet connection faster and more reliable, Speedify also uses advanced VPN-grade encryption to secure your online traffic. There are three scenarios when you may want to use a crypto VPN:
- When mining independently or through cryptocurrency pools. As you know, you can be traced by your IP address and when you handle crypto, it's better to be safe than sorry.
- To access certain crypto exchanges and coins that are restricted. Some cryptocurrencies are blocked in some locations, as they are more difficult to track for taxes, etc.
- To protect your sensitive data. Whenever you're trading cryptocurrencies, you're using your sensitive data as your ID (where required), your bank account / credit card number, authentication codes, etc. Also - you may be using your cryptocurrency wallet. You don't want this data to go to anyone, basically.
With Speedify you get both a reliable and a secure Internet for your crypto mining. This way, you can definitely avoid mining pool Internet disconnects and maximize our earnings while keeping them secure.