Improve Video Streaming: No More Buffering or Low Quality Video
So you’re home… or on vacation… or anywhere for that matter… and you want to stream your favorite show online via Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Disney, BBC – you name it. Good for you – bring out the popcorn and enjoy! What’s that – your streaming movie keeps buffering? Or pauses frequently to load? Or runs at 480p resolution on a 4k screen?
Unfortunately that’s the case for more and more people now. Think about it – we’re working and learning from home, having calls, being constantly connected. And the bandwidth is the same for the Internet at home or in hotels. Remember that time during the initial outbreak of Covid-19 when Netflix and YouTube reduced the quality of streaming videos so that Internet bandwidth could be conserved?
This article explains how to optimize streaming video so you get the best quality videos even on slow Internet connections. Read below to begin.
Why You Are Seeing Issues with Streaming Videos
Before we start the discussion on the steps you can try to optimize streaming video, there are two things you need to do:
- See where the issues originate. The streaming platform of your choice should be up and running without issues. Check and see if there’s any news of issues for Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Disney+, BBC, etc. If it’s not them, then it’s you.
- Run a speed test on your connection. Is your Internet bandwidth fast enough, within these recommendations: at least 5 Mbps for a HD quality video / 25 Mbps for an Ultra HD video?
Now you know where you have to act. If it’s them – that’s too bad – you will have to wait until they sort their stuff out. That is usually done within hours, so don’t sweat it. But if it’s you – start troubleshooting. See below.
7 Steps on How to Optimize Streaming Video
We’ve established your Internet connection is the culprit. Here are some steps you should try to fix it and enjoy your streaming video shows:
- Reboot your modem / router and the device you’re streaming from (computer, tablet, phone, etc.). Sometimes that’s all you need to do.
- Move closer to the wireless router. Actually, use a wired connection, if available.
- Close any background programs that might be using bandwidth. These include backup programs, social networks, collaboration tools, etc.
- Check to see if there are any other devices on your home network using bandwidth. Maybe your kids are streaming something themselves. Or playing games online.
- Try disabling hardware acceleration in your browser / streaming app’s settings. Certain combinations of devices and streaming platforms may not work well together.
- Upgrade your Internet connection – pay more to get more. Or if the speed you’re getting is already under what you’re paying for – contact your ISP and make sure they meet their minimum guaranteed bandwidth in the contract.
- Do you have a second Internet connection available (e.g. public WiFi, mobile data, backup connection)? Just use that extra connection along with your home / hotel Internet simultaneously for faster, more stable Internet. All you need is a channel bonding service like Speedify.
Use all of your connections at the same time
Multiple connections, maximum performance
Speedify can bond any combination of 2 or more Internet connections and will intelligently distribute your online traffic between them for optimal performance.
In the majority of cases, Speedify will automatically detect and start using any Internet connections available to your device - but if you need help we have quick start guides available for most common set ups.
I want to combine...
Speedify Helps Optimize and Improve Video Streaming –
If one of the connections you’re using becomes slower or even disconnects, Speedify will automatically start moving traffic to the other working connection(s). When the initial connection is back, it starts using it again.
And don’t worry – just because it’s also a VPN doesn’t mean you can’t access your favorite streaming platforms. Speedify’s bypass feature allows only trusted traffic from Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Disney+ and more to go around the encrypted tunnel.
We hope to have answered your question on how to optimize streaming video. Next step is for you to try Speedify for free.