Greece Has Opened Up for Remote Work - All You Need Is Fast and Reliable Internet
Greece has the longest coastline in Europe. The mainland has mountains, forests and lakes. When we think of Greece it’s those thousands of islands that we think of, the traditional houses and dishes, along with some footage from Mamma Mia.
With the pandemic, hybrid work made working from home popular, and many of us are able to choose their residence. Why not take advantage of this, make some lemonade out of lemons and reside in a beautiful location such as Greece? Even the popular travel review company Frommer’s lists Greece in the top 10 of remote working destinations!
Remote work from Greece will have its perks: mainly the amazing scenery and being able to quickly switch from business mode to pleasure mode, and the FOOD! Thanks to Elon Musk's SpaceX, Greece is being brought into contention with other major countries with faster internet speeds in their rural areas. Even with all of this, you’ll need to be able to keep a solid Internet connection to ensure you can work uninterrupted from home, your new Greek Isles home, inches from the sea.
When you work remotely from Greece, the Internet is what makes and breaks your productivity. This article will share how you can avoid any kind of Internet issues as a remote worker in Greece.
Causes for Slow and Unreliable Internet Connectivity in Greece
As with any other situation, if you're experiencing a slow and unreliable Internet, it's either your Greek ISP or you. To rule out the ISP causes, check out the service status page for scheduled maintenance work or reported outages. These include Inalan, HCN, Vodafone Greece for fiber and Cosmote, Cyta Hellas, Forthnet and WIND Hellas for DSL. Plus, of course, the mobile broadband carriers and satellite broadband.
If you didn't find any reported outages for your ISP in Greece but your Internet is slow and unreliable (make sure to test the speed, to see exactly how slow it is!), here are some other causes:
- your Internet plan delivers according to the contract. It may be time to upgrade it to higher speeds.
- your ISP is throttling your connection or you have consumed the high speed traffic included in your plan.
- there's a problem on your side, with the modem / router / other networking equipment. Or you're in a poor signal area.
Remote Work Greece - Troubleshooting Slow and Unstable Internet Connections
First - follow your ISP's recommended steps in troubleshooting your Internet issues. You may need to contact them as well. Also feel free to check out this extensive troubleshooting guide for slow and unreliable connectivity.
The main things you should try are:
- restart the modem / router you're connecting to, as well as the device itself - laptop, computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.
- get closer to the Wi-Fi router or move it to a central location in your home.
- use a wired Ethernet connection where possible.
- use a Wi-Fi repeater to get coverage all around your home.
- use all available Internet connections at the same time by creating a "super-pipe". Combine Wi-Fi, tethered smartphone (cellular) and wired Ethernet - you'll need a channel bonding solution like Speedify for that.
Speedify - Essential Connectivity for Remote Work in Greece
You shouldn't put all your hopes into just one ISP in Greece. Reliable Internet is something of a rare find around the islands. Some areas of Greece, especially rural regions, lack robust broadband or cellular infrastructure. That's why remote workers in Greece need a solution for fast and reliable connectivity.
Speedify is the only app that can combine multiple internet sources into one bonded super-connection for more stable and secure live streaming, video calling, and web browsing. As long as you're connected to more than one ISP, chances are you will not get disconnected completely from the Internet, thanks to Speedify's automatic failover protection.
Creating an Internet "super-pipe" that provides increased speed and reliability in Greece is especially important when:
- working remotely - you will stop getting pixelated video or buffering in video conferences, as well as being in touch with your colleagues in real time, not waiting for messages or attachments to go through.
- live streaming - Speedify actually prioritizes live streams over other types of Internet traffic. So your Twitch, YouTube or other streams should be protected.
- online gaming - you will not lose the game because of an Internet glitch or be thrown out of the game because of laggy Internet.
More is better than one - that's why Speedify is the best solution for remote work in Greece.
Speedify is the only app that combines your wifi, cellular, wired, and even your friend’s phone signals – into one ultra-fast and super secure link that keeps you all connected for the best possible live streaming, video calling, or just posting to your favorite app.
Subscribe to Speedify on YouTube
Get news, success stories, and our weekly livestreaming show Speedify LIVE! Tune in to chat and ask questions or to yell at us if that makes you happy. We're from Philly, we can take it.