Fast and Reliable Internet Connectivity - Essential when Live Streaming DJ Sets
How to live stream DJ sets online? If you're passionate about music and DJ-ing, you deserve to be known all over the world. Whether it's on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live or any other platform, live streaming a DJ set online requires some basic elements:
- streaming software - like OBS, Wirecast, Restream, Castr, Streamyard or the native streaming app of the platform you're streaming to.
- a professional sound card / mixer and microphone, if you plan to sing or speak.
- video camera - can be dedicated but you can also use your mobile device's camera.
- a solid Internet connection so your viewers and listeners can experience the best quality audio-video without any stutters or lag.
This article shares how you can get fast and reliable Internet connectivity when you're live streaming your DJ set online.
How Fast Should the Internet Connection Be for Live Streaming DJ Sets Online?
Although music is most important when you're DJ-ing online, we're assuming you'll also be live streaming video, to complete the vibe of your music. A typical 1080p video at 30 frames per second requires upload speeds between 3.8 Mbps and 7.4 Mbps. Learn more about different bitrates for live streaming in this article. That means that you need to make sure your Internet connection can steadily support that.
What you need to do is run an online speed test on the Internet connection you're going to use and with the setup you will have when live streaming your DJ set. So, run that test via Wi-Fi where you'll live stream from. Notice the upload speed. If that's over 5 Mbps in general for a full-HD video, you should be fine.
If you're not getting that, you need to troubleshoot your Internet connection.
How to Fix Internet Issues when Live Streaming DJ Sets
The problem can originate either from your ISP or your own setup. To rule out the ISP issues just check for any outages or maintenance works being done in the area (e.g. Comcast, Cox). Also - check to see if your ISP is throttling you.
Getting back to how to live stream DJ sets online, here's what you do to fix slow and unreliable Internet on your side:
- restart your modem / router, as well as your computer or mobile device you'll be streaming from.
- move closer to the Wi-Fi router - or get that closer to your DJ setup.
- use wired Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, where available.
- disconnect any other devices from your wireless router so you get all the upload bandwidth for live streaming your DJ set.
Did all the above fail? You surely have an additional Internet connection available around. Look in your pocket, for example - the cellular data from your smartphone.
Don't want to waste time troubleshooting slow and unreliable Internet? Do you want to avoid connectivity issues in the first place? Use your home or venue Internet connection along with additional ones at the same time. You need a channel bonding service like Speedify for that.
Speedify = Must-Have Software for Live Streaming Your DJ Sets Online
Speedify is a fast bonding VPN that allows you to use all of your Internet connections at the same time, providing speed, stability and security when you live stream DJ sets online. As long as you're connected to more than one ISP, chances are you will not get disconnected completely from the Internet, thanks to Speedify's automatic failover protection.
Creating an Internet "super-pipe" that provides increased speed and reliability is especially important when:
- live streaming - Speedify actually prioritizes live streams over other types of Internet traffic. So your Twitch, YouTube or other streams should be protected.
- working remotely - you will stop getting pixelated video or buffering in video conferences, as well as being in touch with your colleagues in real time, not waiting for messages or attachments to go through.
- online gaming - you will not lose the game because of an Internet glitch or be thrown out of the game because of laggy Internet.
More is better than one - that's why Speedify is the best solution to live stream your DJ sets online.