Most Americans Can’t Work Remotely from Rural Areas Because of Bad Internet
The new “work from home” paradigm imposed by the Coronavirus crisis outlines the Internet issues all across the world. That’s because remote work today needs more than just a poor satellite, DSL or cable connection:
- video conferencing (Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, etc.) is used not only for business purposes, but also for education;
- manipulating large files is very common for lots of employees;
- live streaming and gaming are also there, as you also have your other family members using the same connection.
So, all of a sudden, the burden on the already-flimsy slow and unreliable rural Internet increased. Working from home in rural America can be a real challenge. As reported by CNN, almost one third of rural American households don’t have access to broadband Internet. Plus – two thirds don’t have access to a symmetrical high-speed Internet connection. That means highly skewed download and upload rates – with downloads usually performing much better.
All in all, Internet in rural areas is very different than in the city. It very much varies from region to region, but there are a few common coordinates:
- penetration of broadband Internet services is limited;
- choice of Internet service providers is scarce;
- connectivity infrastructure is old or even non existent.
So – how can you get faster and more reliable Internet in rural America? Keep reading to find out.
Working from Home in Rural America: Why ISPs Don’t Invest in Infrastructure
As always, it’s all about the return on investment. Broadband infrastructure has costs associated to it which Internet service providers are not yet willing to spend. Broadband lobby groups are arguing that Internet service is similar to utilities such as electricity, gas distribution, roads, and water and sewer networks. So, the government should give ISPs more money.
The most frequent Internet services you can use when working from home in rural America are satellite and/or DSL. Each of them has their pros and cons. Bottom line: do you want to be able to do video conferencing on Zoom, handle large files, surf, play online games or stream without any issues? Then, you must get 2 or more connections when remote working from rural America. Using them both simultaneously can easily be done with channel bonding software like Speedify.
How to Fix Slow Internet in Rural America: Use 2 or More Connections at Once!
Speedify is a fast bonding VPN that uses channel bonding technology to combine 2 or more Internet connections at once. This delivers more bandwidth, increased connection reliability and protects your private data.
In order to be able to work from home in rural America, you should have at least two Internet connections available. These can be from the same ISP or different ones:
Basically, any combination of Internet connections will work – see below how we combined 10 connections at once.
Use all of your connections at the same time
Multiple connections, maximum performance
Speedify can bond any combination of 2 or more Internet connections and will intelligently distribute your online traffic between them for optimal performance.
In the majority of cases, Speedify will automatically detect and start using any Internet connections available to your device - but if you need help we have quick start guides available for most common set ups.
I want to combine...
Speedify – Essential Element to Boost Productivity when Working from Home in Rural America
As explained above, the Internet requirements when working from home have changed. If you’re living in a rural area in America with slow Internet, here’s what you have to do:
- Make sure you have at least 2 Internet connections available to connect to.
- Get Speedify on your computer or mobile device. It’s available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS and Linux.
- Connect your device to all available connections. Enable WiFi and cellular on your mobile device. Connect your computer to WiFi, wired Ethernet, and other connections via external USB adapters.
- Start Speedify and let it connect to the fastest server. It will automatically recognize all active Internet connections and bond them together at once.
- Enjoy fast Internet in your rural area! Depending on the bandwidth you get, you can download, surf, play online games and stream videos online.
Check out our knowledge base for detailed articles on how to combine various Internet connections using Speedify.