Thinking of cutting the cord?
As the prices of satellite and cable TV services rise, unfortunately their service quality doesn’t improve or even goes down. Thus, a significant number of customers have decided to “cut the cord.” Cutting the cord simply means ditching the cable TV service and getting their TV show supplies from online apps. In this article we’ll be looking at some of the best apps for cord cutters.
There are some benefits of cutting the cord:
- Lower monthly costs: that’s the primary benefit. You’ll find plenty of cord cutting apps in the market and not all of them are paid.
- Lower device costs: You’ll need a device to play the media – it can be your smart TV or your phone/tablet. But there is no need for satellite boxes and other hardware that is involved when installing cable TV.
- A la carte channel selection: You pay only for what you watch.
However, before you cut the cord, keep in mind that not everything is for free. There are several media streaming apps that come at premium subscriptions.
What You Need for Cord Cutting
You want the best media experience. And thus you need the best apps for cord cutters. But that’s not all. Here is a list of all the things you need:
- High-speed, stable internet: You cannot get a good TV experience with slow or botchy internet. You need internet services that can keep streaming 4k videos to your device without any stuttering.
- Streaming device (if not using a smart TV): You need a streaming device such as the Amazon Fire TV or Google Chromecast. This will plug into your TV and you can watch shows on your TV like you’d do with a cable connection. If you have a smart TV, you won’t need a separate streaming device.
- Streaming services: You’ll need at least one streaming service to stream media on your TV. There are some best apps for cord cutters that we’ll discuss here.
Best Apps for Cord Cutters
Depending on your region, you might add to the list below. But here are some of the top apps that will let you watch TV without cords.
DirectTV Now: This app includes HBO so if you’re a heartbroken GoT fan looking for a new show, DirectTV Now can be a good option. However, it doesn’t have Animal Planet, BBC America, and Discovery. The app is very easy to use and there are discounts for customers with AT&T Wireless.
PlayStation Vue: If you have a PlayStation, you might want to get this service. It has a decent selection of channels but Comedy Central and MTV are missing.
Sling TV: Sling TV comes with a nice collection of channels. You can get Sling Orange+Blue to get the maximum channels. However, Nickelodeon is missing so it’s not the best option for people with kids.
Speedify: Speedify doesn’t stream anything. So why do you need it? It boosts your speeds and makes other apps work smoothly. There’s no point in paying for DirectTV Now to watch HBO, only to find that the video is lagging and you have to wait for several minutes to watch a single scene.
How Speedify Helps in Cord Cutting
Speedify is a fast bonding VPN. This means that it combines multiple internet connections at the same time. After all, two are better than one. Why connect to just one channel when you can connect to many?
Using Speedify doesn’t need any extra hardware. It’s a simple app that’s available on Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android.
You can combine your Wi-Fi network with your mobile data to get more stable internet and also a speed boost. If you’re using Speedify on a computer, you can also use other connection types, such as wired Ethernet, multiple WiFi, etc.
And if you have just one connection, Speedify can still increase your speeds. It actively detects packet loss and resends the lost packets before they are detected by the applications you’re using. This way, there is no delay and you can enjoy a better and seamless streaming experience.
So if you’re looking for best apps for cord cutters, make sure you Speedify your experience.