VPNs Inherently Slow Down Your Internet. But Not All of Them
Whether you’re using it to unblock restricted content, avoid government censorship or stay anonymous online, a VPN (virtual private network) is a must-have tool. It works by encrypting and routing your traffic through a cloud server.
Unfortunately, many users get the slow VPN experience, making their Internet sluggish when connected through the VPN. Slow VPN can cause video buffering, timing out issues, slow downloads, choppy music streams etc. Not to worry – there are ways to remedy this. Read below to see how to troubleshoot your slow VPN connection.
What Causes a Slow VPN?
First – it’s your location in regards to the VPN server you’re connecting to. If you’re using a VPN server on another continent, you may see some significant latency and slowdown in bandwidth. That’s because your traffic needs to make one more stop on its way to the internet and back. If the server is far away, it will take more time.
Another thing that can cause slow VPN is the server load. If you’re not using a dedicated VPN server, but rather connect to public servers, these may slow down under the load of many users.
Sadly, many times the servers and the service a VPN provider offers are subpar. It’s important to choose a reliable VPN – here are some articles to make it easier for you.
4 Tips to Fix Slow VPN
There are some general fixes which everybody recommends – these should help in most cases:
- Restart the device and see if the problem persists
- Use a wired connection if possible
- Restart your modem/router
- Try another VPN server. If you connect to a server closer to your actual location you will reduce the latency and improve the speed.
- Change the port / protocol. Most VPN providers will allow you to change the network protocol. Some will also allow you to change the port, while others will select the best port automatically. Changing the protocol from TCP to UDP will be better for gaming and streaming. Learn more about network protocols in this Netscout article.
How Come Speedify Is Not a Slow VPN?
With its channel bonding technology, Speedify allows you to take advantage of all internet connections available to you. For example, you can combine WiFi and cellular data on your mobile device so you could join that important business meeting while connected to a public WiFi hotspot. All without worrying about your privacy and personal data.
Feel free to test Speedify yourself. Take advantage of our free plan and download Speedify now.