What Is Bandwidth Bonding and How Does It Benefit You?
As you’ve probably landed at this article looking for a bonding router, you are trying to combine 2 or more connections together. In computer networking context, channel bonding / bandwidth bonding / WAN-bonding / link aggregationrefers to combining (bonding) multiple network connections at the same time. This brings two main benefits:
- increases throughput to near the combined value of the connections being combined
- provides redundancy in case some of the links fail.
The cheaper hardware alternatives may only do load balancing – see here the difference between broadband bonding and load balancing.
A typical channel bonding implementation is usually associated with expensive hardware devices. These include dedicated bonding routers and other networking equipment. You’re looking at least at some hundreds of dollars out of your budget. Nowadays, smart channel bonding software apps do exactly the same thing as a bonding router, only for a fraction of the price.
One such example is Speedify – the secure bonding router software app! It works on Android, iOS, Windows and macOS devices, with no need for dedicated hardware!
Speedify is a faster mobile alternative to traditional broadband bonding routers from companies such as Mushroom Networks Peplink, Viprinet and others. Find out more below!
Speedify – Broaband Bonding Directly on Your Device with No Need for Router
Speedify was launched in 2014 as a channel bonding service. It is still the only software-only broadband bonding solution available for the general public. Its link aggregation technology is more than just the standard 802.3ad or 802.1ax implementations. Here’s what it brings more of, when compared to link aggregation routers:
- Flexibility: Unlike more expensive bonding hardware, Speedify’s link aggregation technology is software-based. It uses fast cloud servers which act as a middleman between you and the rest of the Internet. No more outdated bonding routers that need to be replaced every couple of years!
- Value for money and scalability: This is a direct effect of Speedify’s broadband bonding architecture. You can just use it directly on the device you need it onto. No need to make sure you have it powered and carry it with you. All this at only a fraction of the costs you would normally see with dedicated bonding routers.
- Security and online privacy: Speedify has VPN capabilities and securely combines multiple Internet streams. You can be sure no one can eavesdrop on the bonded online traffic. All the private browsing data is safe.
How Speedify’s Bandwidth Bonding Technology works
When running on your computer or mobile device, Speedify identifies all available Internet connections in real time. You can add or eliminate them while running – Speedify will get that and adjust its link aggregation algorithms. It “routes” all of them into a virtual network adapter.
The Speedify app establishes a secure and encrypted connection to a speed server in the cloud. That acts as a middleman between you and the rest of the Internet. The server can be either public or a dedicated one.
Speedify works in tandem with the speed servers in the cloud. They intelligently divide your Internet traffic and deliver the combined speed of all available Internet connections.
- Speedify monitors the quality of your connection in the background. If one of your connections becomes unstable, the app’s got automatic failover . The mechanism reroutes all of your data so that you stay connected and don’t miss a beat. Once the lost connection is available again, Speedify starts to utilize it.
- Speedify also works to encrypt all of your data, as a fast bonding VPN solution. This keeps you safe from hackers and snoops.
Performance of Speedify Bonding Router Software: Bonding Efficiency and Packet Loss Recovery Rate
As Speedify was built with the core ability to combine 2 or more Internet connections at once, the focus has always been on:
- Increasing the efficiency of link aggregation (bonding efficiency)
- Minimizing packet loss
In terms of bonding efficiency, you can get as high as 95% according to our latest tests. This number depends on the connection types and speeds:
- it is higher when combining similar connections
- may go lower if there is huge difference in latency between the connections.
For example – see below a recent video where we combined 10 Internet connections at once.
Here’s an example of how we calculate the Speedify bonding efficiency:
- let’s assume we’re combining an Ethernet with a WiFi connection.
- The real transfer rate of the Ethernet network is 95 Mbps and the WiFi does 45 Mbps.
- The theoretical link aggregation rate is 95 + 45 = 140 Mbps.
- However – the real rate is lower, but with Speedify you should get up to 95% of that = 133 Mbps.
When it comes to connections with packet loss Speedify often speeds things up dramatically. Combining 2 connections with 5% packet loss, Speedify increases the bandwidth of the resulting connection by 300%, compared to running a single connection without Speedify.
Looking for a Broadband Bonding Router? Take the Software Route – Get Speedify
Speedify is the only app that combines your wifi, cellular, wired, and even your friend’s phone signals – into one ultra-fast and super secure link that keeps you all connected for the best possible live streaming, video calling, or just posting to your favorite app.
Subscribe to Speedify on YouTube
Get news, success stories, and our weekly livestreaming show Speedify LIVE! Tune in to chat and ask questions or to yell at us if that makes you happy. We're from Philly, we can take it.