Public WiFi Security Tips: Don’t Be Afraid to Connect to Public WiFi if Using a VPN
Using your laptop or smartphone while commuting or on the go? You’re probably connecting to one of thousands of public WiFi hotspots available in cities around the world. Using them is trickier than it looks, as you have to seriously think about public WiFi security.
As you know, while you’re connected, your smartphone syncs your social media accounts, email accounts and even bank accounts via dedicated apps. You don’t want this sensitive information to be in the wrong hands.
You don’t have to avoid connecting to public WiFi hotspots. Unless you’ve got classified information, always using a VPN will keep you safe on public WiFi networks. Read more below.
Public WiFi Security 101: How Safe are Public WiFi Hotspots?
Businesses and public places offer free WiFi to attract customers and to provide a public service. However, the businesses that offer public WiFi are not IT or cybersecurity professionals. So, public WiFi security is not the focus here. These free WiFi hotspots often do not have standard security practices such as:
- Securing the WiFi access either by requiring a password to connect to the WiFi hotspot or having some sort of login or registration before accessing the Internet
- Having up-to-date firmware on their routers and other networking equipment
- Having security compliant or at least hard to guess admin usernames and passwords
- Doing periodic routine checks to see if the networks have been compromised
Public WiFi networks are attractive targets for hackers because they are usually easy to compromise and so many different people use them that they never run out of new targets.
Unfortunately, public WiFi networks aren’t just convenient for you; they are also convenient for cyber criminals. They can snoop in on the traffic and get all your social media accounts, credit card numbers, email passwords, etc.
You might also be interested in...
Public WiFi Security Tip: VPNs Encrypt Traffic so Nobody Can Spy on You
The real world solution to public WiFi security issues is to use a VPN to protect your online data. When you are traveling to work or on vacation, it is almost impossible to avoid using a public WiFi network. They are part of the essential infrastructure.
Protect yourself when accessing the Internet from public WiFi networks – use a VPN!
Public WiFi Security Tip: Choose a Fast Bonding VPN so You Won’t Get Slow Internet
One of the issues of standard VPNs for public WiFi security is they slow down your web traffic. They can even make the internet almost unusable because of the way they’re built.
Also, most VPN solutions remain inactive after your Internet connection drops for whatever reason. This can happen while roaming between WiFi hotspots, for example.
Choose a bonding VPN to get fast and stable Internet.
How Does Speedify Work?
Speedify makes your internet secure, stable, and fast with the magic of Channel Bonding--but how?
- First, Speedify establishes a connection to one of our Speed Servers in the Cloud. This acts as a middleman between you and the rest of the internet, keeping your web activity private and secure.
- Next, the app works with the Speed Server to intelligently spread network packets among all your available internet connections.
- And presto! Speedify is able to provide the combined speed and stability of all your internet connections—unlike any other VPN on the market.
Speedify – Your Solution to Public WiFi Security
Speedify is different among VPNs. It solves both security and speed concerns. By using channel bonding technology, Speedify can combine all available Internet connections simultaneously.
You will be protected from compromised WiFi networks. Speedify also keeps your data safe from the prying eyes of hackers, ISPs, and even the hosts of the network.
Get Speedify on all major platforms: Windows, macOS, iOS and Android. Time to put public WiFi security to rest by using Speedify fast bonding VPN.